Friday, August 6, 2010

Stuff

I saw George Carlin do a long piece about "stuff" once. Didn't think much of it at the time but it stayed with me. Makes a lot of sense now. When you think of it- maybe it's just me thinking of it- the day comes when you take your exit from this life and what do you leave behind?
Memories, of course and stuff. Whose stuff? Your stuff. Who wants your stuff? Perhaps the kids will gather the old vinyl LP's (they better!), one of your odd pieces of clothing; pork pie hat? old time suspenders? polka dotted ohmygodoutfit?. But no one is going to want the bulk of your old clothes, books, furniture- so where does most of your stuff go to? Landfill. Got to be a better solution.

This is not for a sensitivity to being greener. It just occurs to me that all this stuff, my stuff, I've been collecting- I don't really need. The snow domes that I've been gathering for years and placing all over the apartment...while not forgetting the afternoon I dragged Maria to several gas stations in Mississippi to find one or the crazy day we spent in the strange shops of South of the Border in South Carolina, I've brought nearly all of my snow domes to work. Setting up a display one Saturday afternoon with the help of my boys made a nice presentation of, stuff I don't need. And months later, I really don't miss them.

Gotten to this day collecting a lot of things but now there is a liberating feeling that I don't really need to collect these things. (note: I wrote this thought twice as I am having to remind myself).
Yes, I'll still purchase records and books but i know that what I have is enough. Most of the stuff I have can be given away (or brought to work for displays no one asked for, but are too lazy to remove). I've included pictures of my two work displays of what was once, my stuff. I go by them everyday, give a knowing nod and happily move on. Getting free of stuff. Working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...