Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Happy Remora

Following sports teams is kind of a funny thing. Your team wins, we win! We did it! Your team loses and they lost. Remoras are fish that ride above, under, around sharks and rays. They take scraps, do little bits of cleaning for their big friends (who pay little attention to their tiny followers). It seems to me that this is who we are when we follow sports teams. I know nothing- really, and contribute nothing to my teams' success. Perhaps a little fan support, perhaps a little revenue contribution but the players play the game, coaches coach. Just the same, tonight, with full respect to a great team on the other side, I am a happy remora.


A couple of player notes: Juan Uribe, who had the winning hit tonight is the nephew of a Giant who played on the team 23 years ago and died in a car crash last year. During a recent player reunion of that team, former 2nd baseman Robby Thompson spoke warmly of his fieldmate Jose Uribe.

Current player Aubrey Huff, to break the tension in the month of September walked through the clubhouse in a red thong. It's since become one of the stranger rituals. His manager says, "I don't particularly enjoy seeing Aubrey in his red thong", but he understands the humor of the deal. This team has a nice mix of odd characters. No need for any more details, I need to go swimming.

Last night (Sunday): I dreamed about standing on a rock submerged in water with sharks, dolphins and whales beneath me. Also : a few weeks ago at the Seattle airport and later at dinner in San Francisco, I got the same fortune from fortune cookies, 700 miles apart- about listening to the advice of friends.

1 comment:

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...