Monday, July 29, 2013

MIchael Sachar


   Friday  I attended the memorial service for Michael Sachar.  Michael  along with his childhood friend Steven Fink started Double Rainbow Ice Cream in 1976.  If YouTube existed then, these guys probably would have been the first "Awed By A Double Rainbow" guys.  When the big bad wolf,  Haagen Daz monopolized the gourmet ice cream market, Double Rainbow sued them.   Most importantly to me, Michael was the first employer who provided health insurance for me and years later when I left, he provided- on his own- three more months of fully paid insurance. I appreciated the gesture then but only years later do I comprehend how unusual of a gift this was, nor has any employer offered anything close to Michael's generosity.

Michael and Steven

   Michael was the first employer who entrusted me with a grown up job as manager of one of his stores.  I had been working at the Polk Street store for 3 years for Sharone (2 years) who hired me and Tracey (1 year) when the opportunity came up.  In those five years this was the job where I had the most fun  (although I've been very lucky to work with great folks at Peet's,  Just Desserts and met great individuals at my other jobs) and there developing  lasting friendships, and most importantly this was time of my life where I found who I am.

   We would have regular lunches together where he mentored my professional development while also entertaining me with stories about his life, childhood and family.  Sometimes our discussions might venture to the abstract: the proper way to use a baseball bat if I ever needed to use it as a weapon or how in Brooklyn, the correct way to pronounce "cock-a-roaches".  Once Michael told me of how excited he was to be invited to his child's first week in preschool.  In a room behind one way glass, he sat proudly with other parents observing their children.  To Michael's dismay the entire time his son was touching himself.  Twenty five years later when I reminded Michael of this story he laughed and with great delight told me that Max had just won an Oscar for his work with Pixar.

     I had not seen him in 15-20 years when in the side area of the Banjo stage at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in 2011, I saw a distinctive looking man having a great time with his friends.  He recognized me first and was very happy to see me.  We caught up with stories of our families and between hand shakes and laughter, made plans to stay in contact.  I was happy that an event that provides me with the ultimate in joy was also a place where Michael experienced the same feelings.  And all was good in my Double Rainbow world, past and present.

    Michael Sachar died on July 23, 2013.  May he rest in peace. 
    

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting. I didn't know Michael much, wjen I worked at DR Steven was more likely to stop by than Michael, but they both struck me as trekking an inspiring and committed path. It was the 80s and a time , retrospect, the little guys could still thrive. I'm always gonna root for the David's and eschew the Goliaths; that time and place of double rainbows will always be close to my heart and is always a mind time for building lifelong friendships. Also the beat ice cream flavors ever: goodbye butter almond I'll always miss you!

    ReplyDelete

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...