Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Most Expensive Dinner That Almost Killed Me


   Rarely in recent years have Maria and I gone out for Valentine's dinner.  Certainly we have had special meals at home- usually a family Valentine's celebration with a hearty ice cream dessert.  This year by way of a cancelled reservation we inherited an evening out.  Why not? Our dinner would be at a cozy restaurant where a friend works, who would also serve as our host.

     At night's end we were fulfilled with a lovely meal, our appetites satisfied and having been treated with absolute attentive care.  The presentation of the meal was elegant and sensory delights plentiful..When you go into a place and the thought crosses the mind of  "I don't see any prices" and you proceed without pursuing, you smile when the check arrives.  Of course deep down I didn't think we would get such a large bill but I am someone who remembers buying new record albums for five dollars and a box seat for a Giants game for ten.  It would it be tacky to list how much we spent but if I symbolically used fingers as a measurement, let's say 2.5 fingers.  Most importantly our experience was 4 stars and built into the price was the lack of a table turnover; that is, customers were encouraged to stay for hours, and we did.  This was likely the longest we've sat at a table together in decades!  An opportunity to be with Maria where she is the focus always has its rewards.

    The part that kills me and almost really killed me was of one of the many appetizers that arrived our way. There were more food items and beverages that landed at our table than pitchers for the Texas Rangers (baseball references- spring training begins!).  I know I should stick to my rule of not eating food that I don't know what it is but how harmless could a cream puff be?   I associate a cream puff with whipped cream (early dessert).  It was a cheese. A fancy funky cheese. I am allergic to moldy cheeses. Tasted good, this cheese. Started to sting, and not message in a bottle Sting but sting as a sting ray stung.  Tongue and the inside of my mouth began to react. Swell.  Concern.

     A good sign was that my throat was not swelling and I proceeded with many glasses of water. As they paced us casually to allow time to fully enjoy each others' company, I was able to regroup without any noticeable discomfort (Maria noticed of course, "can I finish that?").  After about 30 minutes I jumped back to a delicious dinner. Of course when the check came, that was another moment of funky cheese for both of us!
  
    
      

       .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...