Saturday, February 9, 2013

Elkus Ranch 1/17/13

  Oliver invited me on an overnight field trip. Honored, I accepted.  He would consider me instead of who he refers to as the boss.  Then the realization that Oliver didn't want for the boss to suffer from discomfort.  Sleeping quarters of one big room for 40 boys and men and another big room for 40 girls and women. I would suffice.  

   Elkus was wonderful.  I especially enjoyed stepping in at the last moment to make hot cocoas for all the kids.  I enjoyed watching the children with the animals and some time I was able to take walking trails and enjoying the beauty of the first sun after weeks of rain and clouds. Only mildly concerned about mountain lions eating my heart when walking alone at night.  I promised Maria i would set up coffee for the other space- and two guys I walking with departed to walk with some Moms that were spooked.  Do both of you need to walk with them, I thought? 

   The spitting lama was a hoot as he stood in place, as John Cleese as Mr.Faulty at the Front Desk- just waiting to tag anyone unfortunate enough to stand to close.  Community eating, cooking and cleaning had its rewards and the kids learned to do chores on the ranch.  I didn't like the sleeping situation so much although I scoped out the rooms early- distributing floor mats and selecting a side room for seven of us.  I especially enjoyed the time with Oliver, getting up and out early Friday morning just the two of us. Also helping Killian track down his sleeping bag and supplies Thursday.



Elkus cows

posture of a waiting spitting lama

fully loaded. please, just a step closer

friends

me and my bike (yes, i wore a helmet)

crowd in fellas. when you say you snore, you really aren't kidding


a very happy boy, with his chicken

Oliver likes animals



reunited with Mom
 
    I know Oliver wanted me to go and this was to be part of my best birthday weekend ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...