Monday, September 22, 2014

I Saw A Whale Breach


not my photo; looked more like a cigar exploding out of the water from where i was

 It has to do with trying to get a routine again. It has to do with finding the cord I use to download photos.  Funny thing is the cord I had from day one set in a proper place. Somewhere around day 7 I had no idea where that proper place was.  The routine is up to me of course.

  Yesterday we were at a beach home of some very nice folks from Laurel Hill in Half Moon Bay.  Amazing with a view of the water and the beach below. This area is private land to the homeowners that are there with minimal human impact on the beach and the ocean.  Sitting outside i enjoyed spotting sea life and although i made one rookie mistake "that's a boat"- I did see several (actual non-boat) whales.

   Later in the afternoon I followed the path of one as it swam deeper into the horizon; appearing every 30-40 seconds at a distance further right and blowing air, then water (and mucus!) out of its blowhole. Late in its trek, there was a large splash and as my eyes focused on this, I saw the whale soar out into the sky.  Impressive.


    Our turtles have settled into a nice balance in the pond. Stop trying to escape!! The filter we use has cleared up the water and although one of the old girls seems lost forever, we were happy to find that the biggest of our two-Lou is still in the pond.  Maria, dismayed to hear of this the same day I convinced her that we needed turtles in our turtle pond- with her consent I went with the boys to pick up two little (but not baby) turtles.

   With the discovery of Big Lou my concern was if she would attack the new ones but a few days later I came home early to see Lou sunning on a brick with one of the new guys sitting on top of her shell. It looked like a kid on a top of a hot air balloon.  Lou is a giant compared to these guys. Perhaps 6-7 times larger.

   We're tired as night arrives too early with traffic coming back home seems to move slower. I've taken to riding AC transit to get home sooner.  Also with the business of Hyde Street still lingers and to my obligation to all parties involved. Regrets that this moving business has had us absent in taking proper note of a big birthday for Eileen and making an appearance at a special celebration for old friends, Mike (Mike's 60th) and Darlene.  Despite this, the opportunity each night to be able to sway in the moonlight with eyes to the sky makes everything well and the world feels big with great promise.

    Work had me going to a double shift  Friday 9/12 night, and a full day Sunday for a moves project. The rest of the team worked Saturday too.  Tired over-worked co-workers!  I asked for Saturday off to spend a full day with Dexter the day after his 16th birthday. I regret missing his actual birthday on Friday. Noted for future considerations.

   We also had a nice visit with Family here and I know that Maria was very very happy to have Mom and Dad (and everyone else that could make it) in our home.  I still don't have my jukebox back- 3 months!! I know that I do not want to make the folks at Past Perfect unhappy but this is getting somewhat bewildering.


Happy Birthday Meghan


    After leading our Fantasy Baseball for nearly 4 months our team pooped out (not unlike the '78 Giants). Realistically we hope to finish third. Next year I've got a much better idea how to plan out for an entire baseball season...Family Football Fantasy league is back in play (thanks Jeremiah!)

     Hardly Strictly Bluegrass and Tom's wedding is coming up in early October.  Catching up with everyone else and slowing down for ourselves.  Giants and the A's limping into the playoffs (we hope).  Whew. The Giants just beat the Dodgers 5-2 in 13 innings.  Okay. The night just got better!


   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...