Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Where Grandma is


  Grandma, Dad's Mom is in the Colma cementary, as well as my Mom's Mother and Dad's father.  Several week ago after a service of a cousin who died, my sister and I visited Grandma (the only grandparent that I knew) to visit and show our respect.  I used to come up here more often with Grandma and my parents visiting other relatives.  It's always quiet and not very crowded- above ground, anyway.

    Of interest is that Grandma was placed on a little hill not far from an assumed private space of a former Mayor of San Francisco, James Rolph. Rolph is the longest tenured Mayor that SF has ever had (20 years) and only leaving this post to become Governor of California where he died in office, having served 3 years.
The bay bridge was unofficially dedicated to him and he was also known during his term as Governor for allowing a public lynching to occur (the second to last one in California) refusing to call in the National Guard to break up the vengeful crowds.

    His family still has about 25 feet of area to themselves while everyone is crowded together but somehow fitting that my Grandma, our grand matriarch has a place of prominence, easy to locate.  She was some kind of force of nature, and from an early age taught me to respect a woman as much as any man, more to the merits of the person.

 


Grandma, far left foreground. Rolph back right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...