Thursday, November 19, 2015

Point Reyes, 28+



     In 1987 I wandered up to Point Reyes in search of a journey. Getting off the bus at night, the 9 mile walk to the hostel ended up with me instead lost in pouring rain without much food, and known shelter. I did have a big army jacket and a cassette player with two tapes by Tony Williams and Redd Kross which I played over and over, as comfort from the sounds of the night. After twelve hours of uncertainty,  it all turned out very well.

      I didn't want to wait until 2017 so I went back last week. I wasn't going to stay outside but I would go to the hostel and walk back to town (and back to the hostel) without getting lost, of course. I wanted to breathe it all in; the town, the beaches, the trails, the living creatures that live there, the moments.  It's a beautiful place; easy to be free of concrete structures, surrounded by water, sky, and bush.  The grandness of it all. The love I feel there is genuine.

       One night two travelers from the hostel convinced me to drive slowly to the beach at night. They promised that many animals come out by moonlight, and they were not wrong. So many deer, skunk, a bobcat, possibly a porcupine and in the most eerie and beautiful instance, two tule elk bolted from the deep bush and across our path.  There was only the light from our strong flashlights, the mist from the beach and complete darkness.  Incredible, breath taking, and a little scary.  Thank you Jaz from Japan!

        Dinner at Point Reyes Station is as comforting as ever; Polenta 2015 is lighter but still very tasty. I wandered in close to closing, asked if this was okay and was received warmly, without hurry. My two days and nights at Point Reyes were wonderful. More than ever, it is a magical place for me.





















Hostel beds provide motivation for an early start to get to nature. Note to self: private rooms are available.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...