Sunday, January 17, 2016

Tule Elk


    Late last year enjoying the beauty of Limantour Beach at night, I was surprised (and frightened) by the majestic appearance of two Tule Elk that appeared out the mist and darkness onto the trail before me. They too were alarmed by presence. A stare down, although as I recall, mine was prefaced with an "oh shit!", as I thought that the sounds I was hearing from the surrounding bush were rabbits. The elk much more formidable than I weren't too threatened by my cowering (my head could see the back of my ankles) and as quickly as they had darted in, they were, with gallant leaps, gone.

   The population of the elk had nearly disappeared from 500,000 in California to just 28- not 28,000 but 28 by the late 1800's. Today, the once nearly extinct population has repopulated to 4,300, spread throughout California to 25 herds. Point Reyes benefited by an addition of a small herd from San Luis Obispo in 1978. These elk took well to their new protected surroundings (Point Reyes is the only national park with tule elk) and their numbers grew to over 500.  Unfortunately since 2012, the population has decreased to just under 300, due to poor water management/drought and property lines claimed by the farmers reducing the available water supplies to the elk.

    In the area near Pierce Point Ranch, freely roaming elk can be found within the 4.5 mile trek (mostly uphill).  We found them within 2 miles of the misty, lovely vistas and impressive was this sightly. Both lovely and serene. I wondered where the big males were and Dexter later said that they were near me (near as a relative term but we weren't close enough to startle or threaten the elk. If the elk move away from you, then this is when you should know that you are too close), beneath the hill that I was standing.  Dexter counted about 35.  It is interesting to note that the distance between Pierce Point and Limantour Beach is nearly 9 miles. Tule Elk live only in Califronia.




public file photo













 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...