Wednesday, February 8, 2017

56



       This year Maria took me to the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley for my birthday. The evening we went to La Mediterranee in Berkeley, and then hopped over to Yoshi's Oakland to see Booker T and his band. Pretty excellent evening it was . Our room had a great view of the long steep hill we climbed up to get to it, the lobby grand, the spa an interest (never fulfilled), and a giant bathtub that I was excited to climb into for a birthday bubble bath. Only thing was, the stopper didn't work- this grand tub in this grand bathroom in this beautiful hotel would not hold any water. We called the hotel as the bathroom was the best part of our room. As we waited I thought to undertake either or solution or a temporary fix before the hotel would need to send someone upstairs. Amazingly is somehow I threw my knee out with the most minimal of movements. The pain was so intense, I could not move. We were able to get me onto a chair where I hosted not only housekeeping (couldn't fix the bathtub), and security (called by housekeeping for me).  The young man seemed confused as to what he should do  I didn't know either. I wasn't going to a hospital but I couldn't move so when he offered a wheelchair, I accepted.   While Maria and the nice housekeeping lady sought another room (with a large bathtub- I was determined), my security buddy and I found a way to get me into the wheelchair. We became close friends.


Booker T. Jones (file photo)
         Two rooms and a ride later, we had what we wanted and although this room had a little less charm, it was larger and also had the same grand bathtub . But still frozen in movement full with intense pain, I could not use the tub. I could not move from the chair.  Hours later it took all a lot of energy for Maria and I to roll me onto the bed. I saw a future of Kaiser exams, bills and perhaps surgery.

          In the middle of the night I noticed that I had moved my leg without noticeable of pain. In the morning the pain was absent.  I could stand. I took that marvelous bath and it was excellent, surrounded in lavender foam.  As was her plan, after coffee Maria took me to Amoeba Records and I did indulge myself in an hour's browsing, purchasing 12 discs for only $65.

            The later afternoon and evening quietly at home with the boys and a cake made by Maria.  I took a long time making many wishes (they thought I fell asleep) but there's much to wish for, these days.

       



Odd boy with 25 grapes. stopped before choking, calling it a tie.  Young children, do not do this at home.
       

                                              Shared with Hale!   Thank you Burckins!
   



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...