Thursday, February 23, 2017

Strong Women



   I always admired my Mom's friends. In her later years- either because their husbands had taken ill, had mobility issues or had taken leave,  these women would gather for lunch and stay in constant communication. Some had some physical limitations and would find ways to have relatives drive them to the group but they found a way to get there. With each other they had a long and special history. They had witnessed many changes in society and in their lives as Asian Americans, women and partners.  It was a shock that my Mom, thought of as one of the healthiest would go first.

     To this day, Helen, Blossom, Bess (and May, who could not attend this date) still carry on; meeting when they can. Helen makes her way from Berkeley often negotiating public transportation on her own but on this day her daughter brought her over to...my parents house.

     After Mom died, the ladies group would make it out to the home to provide my father company, to look after him.  They are so sharp; an inspiration.  On my father's last night - after he had fallen (and unknown to us suffered massive brain bleeding) one of his concerns was that he needed to get the tooth he had just chipped fixed before he saw the ladies next.  I asked him if he was vain about how his looks and he said, "Yes!".

      We've seen them a couple of times in the last three years but it's been too long and not wanting to wait any longer, I reached out to all. Working with Aunt Helen primarily (her sister married Tom Hanks father, so if cousin Tom asks about me, please tell him I'm alright) we found a good calendar date and made arrangements. My sister would get Bess, Mike should get Blossom (Helen did) and we would all bring (turned out to be much) food.

        I also invited Harry and Linda Chuck (he's working on a documentary about Chinatown from the '60's-'80's!) and cousin Ronnie. Harry and Linda made it, and were in on the funniest moment of the luncheon when someone asked "I wonder if Harry Chuck is still alive?". It's nice to be able to affirm unequivocally  the answer of yes!
 
         Kevin and Jen came along too. Maria noticed a nice bond between Jen and Blossom. It was a really fine day; as excellent as any that we have.






                                It was also Aunt Helen's Birthday (+/-a day) This was February 5
                                       
                                     Oh yeah, some more cool women (and more, not pictured)

Birthday Kids!!

                                                     (thanks family for these pictures!)

Maria, aces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...