Saturday, January 15, 2011

At 50

Hello! I have been running around more than usual so nothing clever here but let's discuss a landmark; that is turning 50 years old. Whew! I can remember how that number seemed to me when I was twenty. Now, no big deal - just really glad to be walking and taking in all that I can each day. I don't feel 50 and I don't feel 20 either. It's difficult to know what 50 should feel like anyway. I just feel like myself which is more realized than when I was 20, not sure then what or who I should feel like.

First, I informed Maria that my preference was to skip any parties or hoopla but that I wanted to do something with the family, somewhere. Later this year to host a nice holiday party at some place we could rent out. That would be cool. Also, years ago I said that I wanted to get a 45 jukebox and still down the road, something I'd like to explore when we have the space for such a beast. Meanwhile, still slowly gathering 45's.

Back to what did we do? I considered going back to a place of quiet retreat that healed me when I was very ill, sitting in a comfortable bed looking out over open balcony windows to the ocean, in a tiny town called Elk- but didn't want to travel the hours both ways. We instead got a room in San Francisco at the Parc 55 Hotel downtown SF and decided to do something I've never done, ice skate. I did reasonably well; fell but not on my butt. There was a guy who would glide by with coaching tips ("hands on the table") that were helpful. He looked like the cheese in the Backstreet Boys who always seems to be in and out of rehab. This I found amusing each time he skated by whispering advice. Oliver, who at first had skates too big, unlaced and on the wrong feet was quite the brave one. His first go round, he was in a constant state of tap dancing on ice. Savon Glover/Happy Feet?

Dexter is the old pro of the family having done this twice before. Last week he went with my ol' pal Anne and her daughters Ava and Ellen. His parents were relieved when Anne offered. Dexter's dad used the opportunity to study and theorize how best to skate and his mother was happy to avoid all sounds of slushing ice.

Happily it turns out that skating did not bring shivers to Maria's ears, which was a great relief to her. As for myself, I look forward to doing this again.


.
Also it was fun to play tag in a big empty ballroom we discovered in the hotel, and I took pride in having security come up and stop us. Ah, stopped by security at 50 (in a non-threatening way) made the moment more joyful, even as Maria was trying to communicate to us to stop.

Dinner of choice was at Lefty O'Doul's; as fine of a baseball pub as can be had. Cupcakes for dessert, some nice reading and a good night's rest, and hey I'm set for 25 more. If I'm still walking and Maria is with me, I might be willing to up for a few more after that. I will say at 50
I appreciate Maria more than ever. She, the gallant gladiator of my heart.
Sometimes Maria is even nice to me (more on that later).


1/24/11 A shout out to my fellow 50'ers, John G. (August'10,), Robert R. (Dec.'10)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...