Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Joy Of Pie and Bussing Dishes, And the Appearance of Hate

 

WHO IS TALLER???? I think Dexter is now but I might have poofed up my hat a little. Of course he might have poofed up his hair too. Anyway for the purpose of this blog, let's call it a tie, despite my Elton John shoes.

This, after a very casual dinner at a Nations on Webster. They have delicious grilled cheese sandwiches, natural light that shines through the storefront windows, pies, and the wackiest assortment of people that seem to always be present.

Today there was a woman, about 50 years old standing at the counter. Each time I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich, she would interject "and a slice of lemon meringue pie".  I would also like an order of french fries- "and a slice of lemon meringue pie".  Can I get a chocolate and vanilla shake- "and a slice of lemon meringue pie".  I began to pause waiting for her excellent timing and ordered another round of fries, just to hear her try to sneak in  a slice of pie. She was cracking me up. Sitting in the booth behind us eating her pie, when I got up to pick up our order, she blurted out "why are you so short?". This was without malice, just what she was thinking. When I moved over to get some condiments, she asked, "why is your nose so big?".  Had me chuckling and  laughing.  On her way out, she stopped by our table to talk to the kids, and ask if we liked pie.  I promised that on her birthday, November 14, I would show up at the shop and buy her an entire lemon meringue pie.  I know she won't forget. I'll be there too.  The pie better be in stock!

Turning back the clock 30 years when I worked at Double Rainbow there was a woman named Michelle, wearing braids, heavyset with the biggest smile who liked to stop by the cafe and gather all the dishes left on tables.  I always thought it was a sign that we weren't doing our job if Michelle walked over to the sinks with her arms full of dirty sundae goblets and coffee mugs.  The thing about Michelle is that if she did have her arms full of dishes, it was a little beyond her able capabilities and big heart.  Her eyeballs would spin in opposite directions as she tried valiantly to hang on but in these cases, some would fall and break.

Whether she had any dishes to bring to us or not, Michelle would always stand at the end of the counter, wait for us to greet her, and then flatter us by informing how beautiful we looked today. Regardless of any treats we offered her (which she did love), she gave us love and joy.  Through the years I was fortunate to bump into Michelle making her rounds. She never seemed to age anywhere equal to the time that had passed.  I always appreciated her just keeping on despite whatever limits she had, she knew where her joy was.
Things people do other than eat inside Nations
Today, I had breakfast with old childhood friends of 30th Avenue. Way back then, this was the first time where I had a community, where I felt I belonged and played an equal part. It's good to see these guys again and when I see them, I always am aware of the absence of John D. and I hope to see his family later this year.

The Grants (and thank you Mr. Ian Grant for giving Dexter some great tools, and Mrs. Lee Grant for always being so kind to us- and also for being the first people from Canada I'd ever known and for giving me a Sidney Bechet record years ago - that contributed to my interest in New Orleans.  John and Rob have always been friends. We spent much time together in our teens.  While the city changes and we age, our friendship is constant and when paths cross, it's always a welcome time.  Danny Pesh,  in the back of my mind -wow, still alive! but I'm glad he's a survivor.  Used to get in trouble stealing cars, go to juvenile hall, break out of juvenile hall and steal another car the same night. If he happened to see you when he was driving, he might try to run you over. Very funny. Also once accepting a dare to ride down 200 stairs (back of Lincoln Park) on a bicycle and shortly after attempting, ending up in the hospital.  Good to see them all today.  John's in from NYC, Rob with his rescue puppy Cooper (saw someone mistreating their dog in the park, let them know they had two choices to give or sell Rob the pup), and Danny -still alive!


On a somber note,  there was the murder of 9 people in a South Carolina Church,, a hate crime committed by a white person who hates black people, I mention this here as this hopefully will be some type of turning point in our racial dialogue in America. Likely not, but from this horror, I am wanting and hoping.

What may occur (and may not- we'll know by the time you read this years from now) is the removal of the Confederate flag at the Capital in South Carolina. I understand that the flag symbolizes to some the sons and citizens of individuals that died defending the way things were during the Civil War-their sacrifice, although it was in defense of slavery.  More disturbing is that the flag was only flown again during the Civil Rights movement, as an active defiant act against equal rights. Truth is honoring that flag now is honoring powerful hateful power brokers of South Carolina who have tricked the populace in assisting their bigotry.

Jon Stewart 












No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...