Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Visiting Traci in Chicago with Dexter



What a blast our short journey to Chicago was! Dexter and I went to visit Traci (finally made it out there) for only three nights as we wanted to get back to see Oliver's concert on Wednesday night.  We were only able to see Traci on Tuesday.  Just the same, we had a wonderful time catching up. I enjoyed witnessing her talk her way into getting us access to places. She doesn't hesitate and can b.s. with the best of anyone.  We miss her out here but it's nice to know that she has a full life in Chicago, and is always her silly unique self.

Dexter and I enjoyed walking about, exploring, searching for good meals and taking the trains. It's only $3 to the airport! (O'Hare). The weather ranged from 79 to 65, really pleasant if a bit warm for Dexter. We did suffer a good drenching just after passing up the option of a taxi but otherwise the climate was perfect (for me). In the morning Dext would sleep in and I'd get out in search of coffee, sometimes settling for the Starbucks in the lobby.

At the Museum of Science And Industry we ventured onto a flight simulator, where I took the easier gig as gunner, determining that Dexter's skill set and preference would be to fly the thing. I wanted to play my part seriously as not to embarrass the boy but he was a goof, continually rotating us into full barrel rolls, 360 degrees again and again, or leaving us suspended upside down. I really should have emptied out my pockets completely. All we did was laugh.  Somehow I got 7 targets although I actually only saw 2.  The operators were amused watching our box spin around like a cement truck.

Dext enjoyed the hotel gym, and I enjoyed the vending machines.  The Palmer House is a great old hotel with a lobby and ballrooms worth exploring. We might have gotten a better than usual deal as the pool is closed for the summer undergoing renovation.  The Loop area is good and busy with central access of transport and interest.

I wanted to take Dext on a tour of the Chicago theater. This is an impressive display of architecture and history.   We also went to a Cubs-Dodgers game (Cubs win on a one hitter by Hammel, 2-0) and nervously viewed the Warriors win game 7 vs. the Thunder in our room.

If I can help it, I'm not going to wait 17 years between my next visit!














































No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...