Sunday, September 26, 2010

Scapin at the Fair

Whew! Summer has finally arrived in this town, and just in time. Today after another go at the Folsom Street Fair, I've come to the honest conclusion that with the addition of the weight I've gained that it is finally time for a new pair of chaps. I am being my usual jesting self as I really have not put on any extra pounds. I will spare the details as to what could have been an embarrassing situation Sunday turned out to be a very pleasant encounter. I've posted the one picture that even a Tea Partier could live with. And, I do miss working the Peet's coffee booth at the Folsom Fair; caffeine addicts in chains paying for us to throw coffee on their tattooed backs. Foam art on skin. Priceless. Good tips too.



Photo censored



We spent a fine afternoon at the Museum Mechanique after attending an ACT play, Bill Irwin's adaptation of Moliere's Scapin. I don't know anything of Moliere's version only that it existed centuries ago and was also presented in comedic form. Bill Irwin has had a very successful career in stage (Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf") and in movies ("Rachel Getting Married") and the little screen (Mr.Noodle, Sesame Street, Northern Exposure). You can trace his career way back to the Pickle Family Circus (1975) where many of the players were later featured with Robin Williams in Altman's Popeye. To me in the context of where and how we saw him, is the best place to see Irwin and friends do what they do best. That is, performing comedy.

It is a comedy where movement is purposeful, and magnified. Reaching up to the balcony the performance communicates itself clearly; the audience engaged from near and far.
Bottom line- funny stuff. An opportunity for Irwin and his friends from Pickle Family Circus to gather up again, and go. The nuance of movement and dynamics of sound (voice and music)are keen, for whether it is ballet, dance, parkour, sports, it is movement and the art of the craft, that impresses. I sometimes come across stories that claim we peoples only use 25% of our physical capabilities (or some minimal number)but it is in Scapin that every twist, turn, facial expression counts. And we marveled.
Hey, $10 balcony seats....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...