Wednesday, August 24, 2011

J Mercy (Someday You Guys Are Going To Be Uncles)


It's funny to consider how small all the nieces and nephews used to be. We always enjoyed when they would visit and stay over. They've all grown up to be really cool individuals. They're not so small anymore.

When Jeremiah was about nine, we would take a super ball or a tennis ball out on
the street and play keep away. It was entirely me keeping the ball away from Jeremiah- bouncing the ball off buildings, street signs, tossing it high in the air and using my body in best Charles Barkley fashion to back Jay away from getting the ball. Sometimes I was Air Jordan leaping to miraculous heights gathering the ball over Jeremiah's outstretched hands. I know I floated in the air. My skill set, awesome! Misdirection, sleight of hand, speed and strength- it was a lot of fun. For me. Years of good times.



About nine years later, more or less- my memory intentionally distorts- Jay came up to visit. He wasn't the scrawny kid that he used to be but still, I was the wily veteran. Finding a good solid super ball, we went for a walk. My first toss off a wall and Jay pushed me off my block, and grabbed the ball. Now it was his turn to play keep away from his Uncle. Jump Uncle Brian, catch this Uncle Brian, Here you go Uncle Brian but oh...too slow! Panic! Red Alert! All my Air Jordan and Charles Barkley powers and prowess were diminished. I was now Curious George battling King Kong. I could not jump, slide, glide, slip, turn, twist, push to get to the ball. For fifteen minutes or so, Jeremiah was ruthless, enjoying his new found power. The King is Dead! Power to the people!

Perhaps it was the pathetic look on my face. Maybe it was that I was a decent Uncle (other than my gleeful years as the King of Keep Away) that brought Jeremiah to mercifully stop and hand me the ball, never to play this game again. Nothing said (other than the fun Maria had with this later).

So this, Dexter and Oliver is just a gentle reminder. Some day you guys are going to be Uncles.
Be good Uncles. But for now, I bet you guys can't get this ball from me...











2 comments:

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...