Saturday, July 30, 2011

Adventure Days With Dexter


Earlier in the week I thought the most exciting thing I would do before this weekend was renaming this blog to one of my primary environmental concerns,
"Monkeys Will Eat Your Face "
However, sensing that Dexter's feelings might be shattered, I chose not to.
Instead I invited Dexter to participate with me in two endeavors, kayaking in the bay and riding on a zip line. He could have declined the offer and that would have been okay. Knowing his extreme fear of heights, I didn't expect him to do the zip line. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me that he wanted to do both. Later, eight stories up and waiting for launch, I would have preferred that he had chosen not to do so- for I was the one wishing that we were much, much lower.









After assisting me at work and making my day easier and less isolated, we set out to meet the in kayak deadline of 4pm, at Pier 40.

City Kayak is a small outfit and the one person running the show walked us through the tutorial. This would be Dexter's first go about in a kayak and he had concerns about 50 foot sharks, or sinking. I haven't been in a kayak since a couple of times with Maria, and some years ago. In our walk to Pier 40, I had left my change of clothes bag at work but as it turned out wearing slacks worked out better than Dexter's jeans, as most of the water did not absorb into my clothing. Leaving my dress shoes at the dock, we were set to go. He had us take several turns to show some ability and then we were on our own.

More experienced kayakers can head out in the direction of the Bay Bridge but our goal was to go to the area of the house boats in much shallower water. Once we got going, I realized that the two hours we had might not be enough for us to get there and back.


We huffed and we puffed, and rested. But when we rested, we tended to drift off and getting our momentum back was not easy. We were going against current in the direction of the ball park, and knew that it would be easier coming back. The tranquility and openness of sitting in the water appealed to both of us, so there were times when we would willingly stop and drift, knowing that later we would have to work hard to get back to where we were.


In that vastness I was surprised to hear someone call out my name way over from shore. It was Alicia from work, jogging around the ballpark. Of course, our attempts to glide over to say hello were more chunky/choppy than glide silky.

Very cool to go behind PacBell/AT&T park, under the 2nd street drawbridge (eerie and noisy), and make our way finally to the houseboats. This area where we have sat quietly waiting for the bat rays, watching from shore and now drifting over the water brought a thrill. We knew that if the rays were there they most likely would lay quiet avoiding the bulk of the kayak but by this time, we had perfected our glide and unity of movement and purpose.
Friday afternoon. Zip line at Justin Herman Plaza. Two folks had intended to go with us but both had to bow out for various last minute obligations. This normally would have provided me the opportunity to back out as well but Dexter was willing, and from our experience on the Brooklyn Bridge- that he was willing to face it would be an opportunity not to dismiss. So we went, with Cailin as our accomplice. The price for a 20 second zip is somewhat steep ; $29 each (you can go again for half the cost) but as a one time event, a fair value.

The instructions are pretty well designed and straight forward: step into the blue straps, pull this one over, and hold on to the buckle. A helmet is adjusted (as if it would help) and walk up the stairs. A lot of stairs. I was anxious about how many stairs. The way up is tented over so it doesn't feel open but you can see outside at the turns.
















At this point we still had two levels of stairs to conquer before reaching the top. At this point, I said to Dexter, "Two more levels?! REALLY?" In his mind, he was just wanting to get the event over but I needed to stop. I didn't like that I was the one who was becoming noticeably anxious. My fear of heights has become a managed one (so I thought) as I'm okay about being on rooftops, after having to climb some pretty shaky ladders accessing high areas when working with the maintenance guys at my cafe gigs.

Getting strapped in by two very nice gents at the top overlooking Justin Herman Plaza was nerve wracking. I checked with Dexter as to how he was. He said he was fine, brave and smiling-not unlike when he was the brave seven year about to undergo major dentist work. If he can keep it together, I should. It probably would not be a very positive memory of his father screaming like Chris Tucker and needing sedation. (keep it together, keep it together...) . Here's the thing; I was not ignorant of the good gentleman who securely strapped me in and while explaining the safety of the rig.
What got me is despite knowing this, my visual focus is the four steps in front of me which end into the oblivion of nothing, and I am supposed to step off into that? (Actually you get into a sitting position at the first step and at a countdown, you are eased into the air)





Here's Dexter soaring through the sky. He took off before I did probably because he was following directions. Eyes closed and lump like, I was sent off seconds behind.



However, once airborne and zipping- weightless, it felt great. Eyes opened you realize how good the birds have it; the view, the room, the speed.
Ah, this is the way to go if this was a way we could go. My girth picked up speed and I soared past Dexter at 500 miles an hour.









To slow you down, the zip takes a bit of an up track with a cushioned wheel or pad to break the momentum. Not unlike an unexpected jolt or shove. Then the guys unhook you, and you walk down a short flight of steps and looking up, relive the experience in words and feeling.
Awesome -but days later, we also remember how the view from the top is sometimes best remembered way down below.


look at my knuckles!

Cailin, not yet convinced that this is a venture that she is willing to undertake found us shortly after we made flat land. After comparing notes, we noticed all the cyclists, for critical mass. We also noticed, in a Where's Waldo sort of way one naked man, he at least with one well placed leaf ready on his bicycle. I can't say if I can recall if he wearing a bike helmet.

When we first came across the first naked man on a bicycle, the thought occurred to me that perhaps we haven't seen him since Bobby and Meredyth's wedding, and that he was the guy who should ride the zip line. I'd pay for that! Soon we found ourselves in what seemed to be the meeting point of all similarly undressed cyclists- none wearing well placed leafs. Cailin and Dexter found it difficult not to bust out in uncontrolled uncomfortable laughter. I of course, maintained a dignified manner drawing from years of being among crowds of naked men .

It was a peculiar finish to an exhilarating few days and yet, candidate for Best Day Ever was still on the horizon. Saturday, July 30 in Windsor CA. But that celebration, is for someone else's blog to reveal. For Dexter and I, these experiences are ours to remember, recall and rejoice. Well done Son.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...