Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fitness at Fifty

Many times as I ride the cable car home I see groups of people running in single line form up the hills of California Street. Some are huffing and puffing with a few stragglers falling behind the formidable fit majority. Often there is one who is out of line barking commands or motivation to all the runners. Cailin informs me that this is a fitness camp; something people pay to do to stay in shape. It has the benefit of a community, albeit one driven with a military precision. Initially not too appealing to me.

And yet, at fifty with a desire to see the kids grow up and to witness Maria in spastic laughter for several more decades, I have to think about what I eat, and how I take care of myself. We should do what we can to enjoy our lives as long as we can being sound in mind, soul and body. I understand that.

Start Fitness is run out of Bush Street location, with another location in Nashville. One hour classes in a gym with alternate days of mile runs up and down the hills of the city. The sessions are led by Sgt. Ken, six time soldier of the year and veteran of Operation Desert Storm, he definitely is someone people pay attention to. I know I will.














Sgt. Ken is probably a real nice guy

It's great to know that these options are out there. It's great to do the things I need to do to provide my children the pleasure of my bad jokes, and nagging reminders. The future has possibilities. In fact the only thing better than the future is the present. And in my present it's watching the good people at Bobs Donuts perfect their craft; making these fine fine products, filled with vitamins R,U, Good. And are they good! What a work out!

























this is a riff from one of favorite visual memories: years ago while driving arond the Marina District, we saw a young woman standing in the garage well of a driveway. She was dressed in a full jogging outfit, but not sweating with a cup of coffee in hand and smoking a cigarette. She seemed to be hiding.
In our minds, she told her partner that she was going out for a run, turned the corner and grabbed a cup of coffee and lit up. Dig deeper and this might be a sad story of self esteem issues but taking the visual as it was, and to us, it was a pretty funny sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...