Monday, July 25, 2011

Sunday, Santa Cruz



Sunday we fulfilled a promise to Captain Mike that we would take him to Santa Cruz for his first ever trip to the Beach Boardwalk. He's been wanting to ride the historic carousel which is one of the few surviving carousels featuring a ring toss. The carousel as designed by Arthur Looff is 100 years old and became a national landmark in 1987. However, I can't visit these places without hearing my brothers voice speaking about "Arthur Looff, the son of Charles ...".

I've learned the two ring pull as the carousel circles around past the one ring dispenser but i have not yet forgiven the Looff family for their right hand bias- to attempt to toss the ring into the clown's mouth requires a sidearm throw backward as your horse pulls away from the target.











Oliver probably had the most fun on the beach but Captain Mike joined us in dodging the waves.
I practice the art of never getting wet unless my intent is to get wet. Respecting the power of the waves and water but remembering that I am a human and my brain is bigger than the ocean's. I am actually a little worried that the boys will get flattened by the water so in my mind I think- okay, toss the wallet, the inhaler, and heavy shoes to shore- then jump in asap. Hasn't ever gotten to that point, thankfully. Because the next point would be some ten year old kid pulling us both to shore.

Dexter was into winning the dime toss games so while Maria and I rode the Big Dipper (yep, Looff again), the boys wandered off and returned with various glassware and bowls. Dexter never makes a secret of not enjoying thrill rides but Oliver seems to love the thrill of a drop, and the splash of water- with Maria, in a log flume.



Treats and a trip downtown for coffee- Santa Cruz benefits from having room so their coffee shops usually have large interiors. You can find several cafes that brew coffee to order and years ago we would visit a place that had a big garden to relax in.



















An old ice cream shop, Marianne's- 50 plus years offers some great flavors year round that our neighborhood Swenson's only offers seasonally or no longer : Blackberry,
Licorice, Root Beer Swirl. And then there are many more flavors that other people like too. A full day for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...