Thursday, September 29, 2011

Blues For D


Happy Birthday Dexter!


a pool in Palo Alto, Memorial Day weekend

We're not really feeling blue for Dext but having gotten to 13 in reasonably good shape, these next years may be difficult ones but hopefully and ultimately rewarding. In the decade to follow, there will be plenty of firsts and also, a defining of self and who Dexter wants to be. In this time, he will discover the blues. Let's hope that his parents can give him the support he needs and that on his most difficult of days, let him know that they love him.


Thirteen years later, this young man still believes that his father is a great guy. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. If I stumble he will rush over to be sure that I am alright. He seeks my approval and if I ever withhold it, he is terribly hurt. Empathetic and eternally goofy, we are very proud of him. flying a $2 kite at Crissy Field

We had a party in the park for Dexter when he turned one; it was a miserable day for him. The memory of that cold blustery day prevented the Happy Birthday song anywhere near Dexter until last year. So the one piece of advice I would give parents regarding birthdays- keep it small until the young ones are older. This year, with twelve years of good karma behind him, was a sunny warm day. A day of baseball, water balloons and egg toss, and honoring Dexter's wishes, all vegetables, all salt, all sweet. No meat (plus factor, no bees!).



A quiet moment sitting in front of Grandma and Grandpa's house in Redwood City.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dexter! It is quite wonderful to see you and your brother grow into amazing people just like your folks. Brian and Maria-well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. right back at you with Elijah and Maya. And happy birthday to Eli as well! Thank you much.

    ReplyDelete

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...