Saturday, May 14, 2011

Big Bu and Ashes to Ashes


Not those type of ashes. Just in case you guys ever wondered about that odd bag you may have found in my top drawer, let me tell you about it. You should know the story or upon discovery, you would draw some conclusions and toss it. It's a bit more complicated than you think- so before you trash it, read this out and after shaking your head, go ahead and let it go.

In that plastic baggy is the ends of a cigarette smoked by one of the great musicians, Art Blakey. Do some research on Bu and the Jazz Messengers before concluding that your pops had lost his mind one evening in 1988. You see, I knew that DNA was going to be the big deal and that one day we could create a master race of really great drummers. No, I had no idea; I just wanted a souvenir as no other- and that night to my surprise, I received another.

Your mother and I were sitting at the front table by the bandstand of a small club called Kimball's West somewhere in Hayes Valley -Grove Street? and at the beginning and the end of the set Blakey would talk awhile. Later in his career he made a point of appealing to the audience for preserving jazz as art but always kept a cigarette nearby. Since our table was closest he used our ashtray (you could still smoke in clubs, and restaurants) as his ashtray and I didn't mind (especially since any club, coffee shop were often full of smoke). At some point after the set, I saw my opportunity -it probably occurred to me during the show- which was always lively and fun. As I recall this gathering of Jazz Messengers had two tenors (Willie Williams and Javon Jackson is another guess) and featuring many a chase. Blakey would recruit and develop young musicians encouraging them to write and arrange, then send them off to spread the gospel. Wayne Shorter, Freddie Hubbard, Terrence Blanchard, Bobby Watson, Marsalis brothers, Curtis Fuller, Donald Harrison, Mulgrew Miller, Kenny Garrett, Lee Morgan, Cedar Walton, Kenny Dorham, Benny Golson...on and on. Some of my favorite players today, Miguel Zenon, Renee Rosnes would most likely have spent time in the Jazz Messengers if I had this cigarette DNA clone thing going; Bu2!

After the second set I approached Blakey for an autograph for a friend (Kelli of Double Rainbow). Blakey looked at me, growled "I saw you watching" and then punched me hard in the chest. I fell back a few steps- initially quite stunned as he laughed and signed the memorabilia. Maybe a fan has a large amount of tolerance but I always appreciated what he did for this reason; he knew that I would always remember the moment and as great musicians do, it's about being in that moment and creating a distinctive individual moment. It doesn't happen alone but is borne from an interaction that can create something unexpected and lasting.

So now you guys know the story with that cigarette in the plastic baggy. What you choose to do with it has my blessing and understanding. But do know that in a wierd sort of way, it was a treasure of mine.
Love,
Dad

6/13 additional note: Captain Mike informs me that Merle Haggard has as a treasured keepsake a partially smoked cigar of Bob Wills. Somehow this story made me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...