Friday, July 16, 2010

Of Weddings and Family


Last Saturday I went to a great wedding. A day that felt right. My nephew, Bobby marries an equally lovely human being, Meredyth. It was a comfortably warm day in the Castro/Mission. Having family gather and be together to share this union was as good as any time gets.
I didn't really enjoy weddings until I had my own but now, I just love 'em. Perhaps it's the relating of the ride, the anxieties, the calm, the quiet, the release and just as Saturday, joy. I am not writing Maria's name until she reads my blog. Otherwise I am glad that she is a big part of my best gig ever.
It is pretty incredible really how anxieties can build, and usually just the night before, or the morning of- when you start to worry too much about things that are (by that time) out of your control; the weather, the sound system, the food, how everyone else is doing...you sort of fall out of the moment.
All those people are there because they know that the foundation of the union is so solid that nothing can break it; all the worry points can not make a dent. We also hoped for sunshine and were lucky to receive it. If it had rained, it would have been, in the chaos, fun. Improvisation in the script will work when the audience is with you.
Meredyth and Bobbys vows were short, sweet, funny. Bobby thanked Meredyth for putting up with his attempts of picking her up. Kathy, Bobby's mom, said that she was as proud of Bobby today as she has been proud of him any other day. Cailin found a way (insert photo of Cailin here for those that know her) of connecting one of her brothers' favorites, Abraham Lincoln in ways both humorous and touching. On this fine day, in the presence of so many that I admire and love, there was much to be proud about, to be hopeful and satisfied. Justice is served.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! What a wonderful wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful writing about a wonderful day brian! also, thank-you for picking out what I was trying to say in my incoherent rambling...that is exactly what I was trying for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would I have time to read the blog when your always in the computer writing it?

    ReplyDelete

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...