Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Books Marking Time




This is my back up entry; last night I typed up a good piece but when reviewing it- neglected to save it and lost the entire script-argh.

So instead, books I've read (reading Bringing Out The Dead ) in the last 3 months. D & O, can you remember me sitting with any of these?

The Percy Jackson series are books that Dexter pestered me to read for over a year, and when I finally began one, I enjoyed them immensely. Most of the other books are obvious reads for me, big print and pictures but a few tricked me with covers with bright colors.

The Unnamed is an appealing love story, if an odd one- and also about a man who can not stop walking. David Halberstam has given us many excellent books about sports, politics and the civil rights. He wrote The Children for the young individuals who were the principal players of the civil rights movement, and follows them to today. Whether it was the shy Diane Nash or the stuttering John Lewis- both knew only that they had to pursue truth and fairness, surprising themselves and discovering courage in the process of doing.











































Thanks to Cap'n Mike for the Cavett, The Delta Blues and Waiting For The Sun and a few others I haven't finished yet!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, what did you think of Banf of Misfits? I follow @extrabaggs on twitter, and obviously I am drawn to the source material. Oh yeah, I also wanted to add that once upon a time you gave me I Had a Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story. I loved that book and I did no less than 5 book reports and comparative essays on it over the years. I never properly thanked you for that. haha. (Also, I have always been retroactively upset that the Giants robbed fans of seeing the greatest outfield in baseball history by letting the Bravos steal Hank for something like $500 more than the Gigantes offered.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Band of Misfits is a good read. Each chapter takes on a player but relates the individual to the arc of the year, while keeping the story moving forward. I was surprised that chapter one focused on Bengie Molina but it made sense. Still very fond of Hammerin' Hank and the few interactions that I had with him. He was very kind to this kid.

    ReplyDelete

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...