Monday, April 18, 2011

Coffee Man And The Musician


One of the fun things about working in a cafe that has a lot of foot traffic is you never can tell what may happen in any given day. It might be the calmest and smoothest of operations or a day when a disagreement between two customers might erupt into a crazed bloody fist fight, with all hands doing whatever they can to keep people from killing each other. That day, looking back was a fun one (because instinctively we worked together to keep the peace), with memories of customers screaming and running behind the counter for safety.

Another fun part of the gig was when celebrities would walk in- won't lie about that. Mostly the stops were one offs aside from locals like Robin Williams or the Danielle Steele kids or the second time Tom Waits came in in search of a sandwich. Another exception to these drop-ins was (also my friend Ben but that's blog #124) someone who spent a winter and spring with us, living just around the corner.

At the bean counter Lara was debating the merits of country music with a customer but it wasn't until I heard him speak of Bill Monroe and Dolly Parton did I double back and look up. I would not have recognized him otherwise for he seemed so young. I walked back to our small office and looked through the stack of CD's I had brought to play during our morning prep (during all business hours we only played classical music) and there, by astonishing coincidence was the musician. The insert band photo was a goofy capture and this I brought out and asked Chris if he could make that face.

Chris Thile of Nickel Creek was a phenom of the mandolin at a very young age. The type of musician who spends most of his free time playing, experimenting, capturing a sound in the quest for feeling in notes and tones. Allison Krauss produced Nickel Creek's first two albums and he's played on records with Dolly (crazy to me that he can see Parton, and get away with "Hi Dolly"), Paddy Maloney and the Chieftains, Fiona Apple, Elvis Costello & Emmylou Harris as well as being regulars on Prairie Home Companion. Now with his band the Punch Brothers and often working with T-Bone Burnett. Elton John recently said, when asked who he would most like to record with-anyone, said Chris and the Punch Brothers.

Chris was taking time off to relax while his wife was going to art school in SF, and made a daily routine of stopping in around 9:30-10 for a cappuccino, maybe two. We talked about music, and life. As did many of our regulars, he got to know some of the staff. He's a personable, upbeat guy. One afternoon we spent cupping coffee and experimenting on home espresso machines, he pursuing every detail about the La Pavoni. Our small talk was the impending birth of Oliver. It was the first week of April, 2004. Any day, any moment now. If the phone call was from Maria, I would be gone. He asked me about having a family and said how someday he might like this, but not now. He wondered if there would be a day when he would settle down. At the same time I was thinking how cool it would be to be a musician, maybe hanging out with a long haired stranger and while brushing away streams of smoke, say "Hey Willie". My memory sees two men, both holding portafilters dripping espresso grounds considering each others' life as their own, momentarily lost in these thoughts.

The next day was the day Oliver was born. I had given Chris the Pavoni machine to take home to test as he saw fit. After my short leave (10 days? 2 weeks) I returned to work grateful for my good fortune. I didn't see Chris for several months and when I did, he came in only briefly to return the machine. He apologized and took off quickly. I would find out later that he had moved out of his house, and separated from his wife.

No judgments here; just two people realizing who they are and who they had to be.
(Alternate ending: No judgments here; just two people realizing that only one of them could play the mandolin. I like the first ending).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...