Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Only One

While sifting through drawers of stuff, I recently found something of value to me. Of this, I am sure that I have the only one of its existence in the world. In the history of mankind. A Planet Of the Apes card autographed by one of the greatest magicians of all time, the Great Slydini.
Tony Slydini was not a stage performer such as David Copperfield with all the bells, whistles and vanishing elephants- he was the ultimate craftsman in the art of sleight of hand.

This type of magic brings its viewers up close, as active participants. It is a skill of misdirection and psychology and is also known as table magic. The smarter the mark, the easier to fool, and this is how many so-called psychics can fool scientists. Revered by magicians, even by the great Dai Vernon, Slydini never was a household name but among his peers, he was the ultimate. A magician; nothing more and certainly, nothing less. Thankfully to Youtube, footage is available.

Back in the 70's my brother took personal lessons from Slydini and has hours of reel to reel recordings of these sessions. I can remember laying on my bed as he played the tapes over and listening to the sound of a man speaking in a heavy Italian accent and the sounds of coins rolling, tapping and sliding across and through tables. My brothers' chuckles riding over the bell- like sounds of the coins.

One day before he left for a lesson, I asked my brother for a favor. Could he could ask the Great Slydini for his autograph but on a signed Planet of the Apes card? Confused, my brother responded with, "why would he want to do this?". I argued my case and suggested that this would be a unique request. To Mike's credit, he asked Slydini to sign the card. Slydini's response was, "why would I want to do this?" but he obliged as well, too kind to say no. To this day (although it was missing for ten plus years) it is one of my treasures. It is the only ONE.

For more on the Great Slydini, google:
Conjuring Slydini, part 2 and of course the grainy YouTube offerings!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Can't Keep This A Secret Any Longer

With great news this morning of November 7,2020, it's time to share more: I didn't like my makeup and admittedly I am wearing a bad ...